Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Wisdom of the Unknown Confederate Soldier

I first read this years ago, and I find it so potent. This is the essence of the Christian life, I think. I have heard a country song with the refrain "I Thank God for Unanswered Prayers" which is along the same lines.

I don't really have time to write anything more profound right now, so without anymore ado, here it is:

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I had asked for,but everything that I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.
- Unknown Confederate Soldier

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merisha,

Sorry I did not come to say "hi" while you were at our tea room!

There is still something I am dealing with.

I pray God blesses your family!

Love You!

James said...

I think I had read that somewhere before. It's pretty awesome, and very true.

I hope everything's going real good with all ya'll and the job hunt. It was great seeing ya'll again last week.

Happy Daylight Savings Day!
James

Leah said...

"I asked for all things that I might enjoy life/ I was given life that I might enjoy all things."

What a beautiful thought! Have a nice day,
Leah