Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Years.

Well, we brought our new year with a bang. Literally. I have never heard so many bangs in all my life as we heard last night. We are all burned, bruised and swollen, but we had lots of fun. For all of you who think that I am preppy, you are in for a shock.

Last night a friend from church invited us over for their simi-annual firework war. Now, I come form a family that is very cautious when it comes to anything involving fire. When you light the fireworks you instantly get at least ten feet away. And ABOVE ALL, if something lands in the dry leaves you must track it down and stomp it out. Well, I now know that you can shoot off 2000 bottle rockets in a three hour time frame and that nothing worse than catching one or two people on fire is likely to result.

When we where changing before heading out to the White’s I asked Mom if she thought if was okay if a certain pair of jeans got damaged. “Damaged? What are we going to do?”

“Um, shoot fireworks... at each other”

“Ooohkay” was the tentative reply.

I think that about the time the first bottle rocket headed in her general direction Mom headed inside, not to emerge again until the war was over.

I can claim the first, if not the worst injury of the night, which involved a Roman Candle that was a little too close and resulted in a swollen lip. I retreated to the house for a few minuets just to make sure that I was not really hurt. I wasn’t, so the first thing I did when I came out of the house was go after Mr. Randy with a bottle rocket. As he headed back to the other side of the house I heard him say “Well, I guess she wasn’t hurt too badly.” At which point I told Brooke that I might be a wimp, but I didn’t intend to announce it to the whole world. I wondered aloud last night what I’m going to tell all the little old ladies at the dress shop tomorrow... I think that I’ll leave it at “I got hit with a firework.”

We ended with the rather unfair division of guys vs. girls, their being six guys and five girls, one of which retired to the safety of the basement after about fifteen minuets. But I have to say that in spite of the unfair odds we almost held our own. I hit more people than I was hit by, so I felt that I had accomplished something.

At one point we where in the basement loading our rocket launchers and when we opened the door that lead up the stairs and out of the basement we discovered that the boys had put down the awning over the exit leaving us in something of a predicament. If we opened the trapdoor the boys would be waiting outside for us, no doubt with ammo ready, but there was no other way out. So Brooke resorted to “You guys, it’s not FAIR!” Cole took pity on us and let us out without a barrage of Roman Candles aimed at us. (If you want to talk about not fair, I’m not sure that claiming girl privileges is precisely fair, but hey, whatever works...)

And be on the lookout for Robin’s adventures in the firework war... it will be worth reading.

And to assure those that are worried about the safety of all this, we where wearing goggles. Just in case you where worried. ;-)

We spent the afternoon at the Walkers eating the New Year’s musts: black-eyed peas and cabbage, and after Lunch we broke out Taboo, which proved great fun. At first the guys did very badly, but the ended up beating us by about five points. Did I mention that none of the guys had ever played before? Yep, they really enjoyed that one.

So, I hope that your New Years was a happy as mine was.

8 comments:

Leah said...

A firework war?!?! Wow, Merisha, this has got to be the most insane thing I've heard of so far this year.

Glad you are relatively uninjured. Happy New Year, btw. ;-)

Unknown said...

Haha, isn't is though? And it may well be the most insane thing you will hear of all year.

Thank you:-)

Daniel and Christa Blanchard said...

Sounds Fun!

Christa

Unknown said...

Almost as fun as swimming in the hurricane ;-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Every New Years I try to convince people to have a war, but everyone I know is too much of a saftey freak.

I need to find a new crowd.

Unknown said...

Haha, you should do that... Poor Mathew and Christian.

Daniel and Christa Blanchard said...

You still remeber when we went swimming during the hurricane!! :-) That was REALLY fun.

Tell everybody I said 'hi"!

Christa

Unknown said...

Of course I remember it! I don't think that is one I'll be forgetting any time soon.